• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

airframe structural analysis

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nik.kruhmin

After studying the plans and seeing a few completed planes, I have some sketches of a highly Sonerai influenced, albeit new design. Imagine a Sonerai I low wing with the pilot leaned back an additional ~10 degrees and the cockpit sectioned to keep the top frame rails in the same position relative to the pilot's head.. Anyway, with these changes I want to make sure its structurally sound. I'm a MechE by education, and could run a simple FEA on it or even do a full analysis in ProE/Mechanica. I need help in knowing what loads the airframe has to withstand. For example, pulling 6G, in pitch only, what loads does the nose and tail see? How is engine torque transferred though to the frame? What are good assumptions? Is there any good books on this subject?

Thanks,

Nik

Someone had done a structural analysis of a plans built SI. Might have been on the old Yahoo list.

There is still the question as to whether the wash from the wing would mute the tail during nose high operations. That has been discussed at length on this site and others.

Airframe Structural Design
Michael Niu;

Aircraft Design : A Conceptual Approach
Daniel P. Raymer

If you want a more watered down version

simplified aircraft design for homebuilders
Daniel Raymer

6g is just a reference for nominal acceleration(not tangential acceleration) of a body during a rotational motion.

John Monnett had a structural analysis done on the S1 back in the 70's. You might want to contact him. After the analysis was completed, he eliminated one bay in the tail because it was so overdesigned...................z88

Back