• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

airframe selection advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PMD

There is a pretty decent depth of knowledge and experience here, and if I might, I would love to solicit some sage advice.

Let me put this delicately - and I can not discuss any further - I want to install a "Rotax-like engine in something. The engine uses Lyc dynafocal mounts and SAE 2 prop flange coming in around 100 HP . This begs the question of the most appropriate airframe - and that opens up a LOT of questions for me. I haven't built anything aviation since the early what we now call "advanced ultralight" days over 25 years ago. For those who might not have been around then, the "training" version of "ultralights" were being built by several companies well outside of the "spirit" and mostly as well the LETTER of the law - literally anticipating legislation and regulation that did finally come along. Since then, I have confined myself to spam cans as I only use airplanes for travel, and often at night, long distance and weather compromised. In other words: I haven't a bloody clue what the law says about many things in E/AB and LSA world today.

Now, all of this has to be framed in the fact that I am a Canadian living North of the 49th, and it is essential to be able to cross into the US freely. If I go with an E/AB airframe, what are the limits and controls of crossing from Canada to the USA? I can do an installation in Canada, slightly complicated by what I assume to be the concept that up here, the original builder is the manufacturer and I don't think a subsequent owner is free to modify the design. I am up to me arse in alligators building and maintaining industrial equipment and developing my workplace on our farm, so I have no time to build an airframe even from a kit to get around that....IF that is the case. So, from our Canadian members - what's the skinny on doing this?

The other option is to throw an engine into a spam can. Because of Lyc mounts I was thinking a C152 would be the most "inoffensive" airframe to hang one in (I would MUCH prefer an AA-1) as I will be flying off of my friend and neighbour's grass strip. Now, we have something really special up here - "Owner Maintenance". I could bolt a Jag V12 on the snout of a Mooney Mite under that classification. Aircraft is taken off of the certified registration and moved into a new category (can be moved back by complying exactly with the Type Cert, ADs, and new CofA) but I don't think one can just wander across the border with one since the US doesn't recognize the category. The other option seems to be "Experimental" - but that up here actually MEANS Experimental. I think I can take such a machine into the US (as that is where the restrictions are, not up here) for display - and that would be just fine.

Would appreciate your thoughts and advice.

Back