• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Aircraft WindShield

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Nalevanko

I was wondering if anyone knew how these were formed? As in actually having done one or seen it being done. I once asked the supplier of my Stallion windshield (the first of which I broke; grrr) if I could come on down and see them make me a new one, but they were quite secretive and refused.

I am aware of the bubble blow technique used for the canopy of single and tandem designs.

My impression is that a flat piece of acrylic, possibly cut to shape, is loosely fixed over a male mold with both being in an oven. The oven is turned on and the flat sheet drapes due to gravity over the mold as the plastic softens. The pieces then cool and the windshield is popped from the mold.

Is this wishful, simplistic thinking or are more sophisticated approaches used? I am thinking of doing a simple but somewhat larger windshieldthan normal. It will have somewhat of a conic section shape that should provide some inherent rigidity.

Thanks for any info.

Blue skies,

Tom

Back