Quantcast

Aircraft Structures

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Jim Williams

I used to own a 46 luscombe 8A and one day when landing I got bit by the old Luscombe ground loop and ended upside down. The old girl didn't look so good now. After I got over feeling like an ass. I started rebuilding some parts. The first was the ease the vertical tail. Removing the damaged skin, to my surprise the skin was only .016 and ribs where also .016 2024-t3 the front and rear spars where 040. My surpise was here is a 59 year old airplane. I know it's not an aerobatic aircraft but in 59 years shes lead a hard live and somebody in all thoughts years has performed aerobatics in her. She is one strong bird.
But it makes me wonder about some of the homebuilts. I have built two Midget Mustangs and the Horz and vert have .032 skin and spars. I believe The RV's have .032 also. You think that is over kill?

Jim W

Rhino

This wouldn't be possible in Australia. According to Nitin Mittal's friends down there, the CH 701 skins are too thin to last, so your Luscombe apparently wouldn't have lasted too long there at all. :gig:

pylon500

to my surprise the skin was only .016 and ribs where also .016 2024-t3
This is what I like about sheet metal and stressed skins.
I was looking at the structural repair manual for a DC-3 the other day and found that even on this large aircraft, much of the outer panels of the wings are clad in mere 0.020".
You can find some differing concepts from even the same manufacturer sometimes....
The Cessna 150 aft fuse is made from three pieces of 0.032" wrapped into a cone with a stringer folded onto each edge and only two main bulkheads.
The Cessna 182 however uses multiple 0.025" frames, in the aft fuse, carrying numerous rolled and extruded stringers, which is then clad with only 0.016"!
Many people relate aircaft aluminium to what they see in Soda cans (no, THAT company is not going to get a free plug out of me!:gig: ) and foil wrap, most are quite surprised when they get to feel a piece 2024-T3.
Arthur.

BD5builder

Yup,
not to mention the empennage section of the fuselage of piper seminoles is only .032", and theres only about 2 formers and a few stringers in that section. ALL of the skins on my BD-5 wings, tail section and control surfaces are .020" with the fuselage skins being .032". And all of the other formers and stringers inside of the parts being either, .016, .012, .020. The more structuraly stressed parts fo the plane are (.032 and .040).

StRaNgEdAyS

Originally posted by Rhino
This wouldn't be possible in Australia. According to Nitin Mittal's friends down there, the CH 701 skins are too thin to last, so your Luscombe apparently wouldn't have lasted too long there at all. :gig:
hmm I might have to look, but I'm pretty sure that was in India...;)