Quantcast

Aircraft Speeds

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

n6233u

HBA Supporter
Is there a list anywhere of experimental (and/or certified) aircraft listing their performance specs in comparison?

BJC

HBA Supporter
I don’t know of one, and if there were one, I would be leery of its accuracy. Kitplanes published an annual listing, provided by the kit providers and plans providers of E-AB aircraft, complete with top speeds and stall speeds. There was, to be generous of the data providers, lots of optimism.

Sources that I believe to be reasonably accurate in the HBA category are Vans, Glasair, Pitts, Bearhawk and a few others, BUT, not all homebuilts conform with the factory airplanes that set the performance standards.

I do trust data measured by C.A.F.E. for the specific airplane tested (but not all examples of that design).

Edit: Added link CAFE Foundation

BJC

Last edited:

pfarber

HBA Supporter
Such a list is useless. Any number of small changes in build quality could affect the actual results. If you want a speed range, well, sure... most airplanes go from 120mph to 160mph cruise. Depending on HP. There are many examples that will break that guideline like a Glasair that goes insanely fast for the HP.

But if your airplane had excessive weight or poor build quality you could easily lose 10mph off specs.

n6233u

HBA Supporter
Having built a couple of aircraft I can vouch that build quality affects everything. I wanted to know advertised specs just to see where each plane fits in the grand scheme of things. The Kitplanes annual listing is what I was looking for, thanks!

Is there one for certified aircraft?