• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Aircraft Composites and Technicians

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cfcreations

Hi guys,

I have run a small composite business in Arizona since 2007. Every chance i get i study up more on the subject, new techniques, products and applications of composites.

I'm looking to get into aerspace composites, but it doesn't seem such an easy door to open. If someone with expertise in this area would consider practical advice that would be welcome.

The work we currently do in the business is vacuum molding with frp molds, plug and mold design and building, and cold compression molding. We also do carbon fiber overlay onto customer supplied oem parts. This last one is purely for asthetics of the cf weave, much like a Z06 Corvette has a visible cf weave on the console. The carbon fiber we work with comes dry ( not prepreg ), same with the fiberglass cloths we use.

Some of the reasons i'm interested in the field of aviation are: I have always been interested in flight and aircraft. I worked for many years in machine shops doing gas turbine engine overhaul. This is very precise work and all done to engineered CAD specifications and FAA specs. I used to work making radiographic and ultrasonic test indicators and test blocks, also very precise work. Many of our products were used in the spaceshuttle program, and military applications, along with comercial aerospace. In my last position as an employee i inspected and helped make precision metrology machine parts. I grew a little tired of metal so I opened a composites business. I mainly started with motorcycle fairing parts, but have since moved away from doing that aspect ( can't pay the bills making those type of parts ).

So anyways in a sort-of nut shell I'm looking to getting my business into the aerspace sector. Like i mentioned above, I'm open to suggestions and if there is someone here looking for parts to be made I am happy to help where i can.

If anyone has questions about composite techniques, materials, etc I am willing to answer your questions and help.

My email: [email protected]

Back