Quantcast

Air driven generator?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

pfarber

HBA Supporter
Have you considered a backup battery?

BJC
Yes... but batteries (lead acid or LiPo) need to be charged/maintained and are super expensive (the LiPo option especially).

A one wire alternator never needs charged, never gets old, and weighs less than lead acid battery and slighly more than LiPo.

I don't want to run it off the engine as that means is taking HP and also in use. But a secondary 'emergency bus' only alt may be the easier option.

I will run an EFI/ECU controlled motor.. I need power to keep the engine running.

There really may not be a need for a third level of backup (1st is engine alt, second is LiPo battery, third would be a small, engine only wind powered electical source.

Yellowhammer

Anyone ever think of or know of a production unit that would be air driven at say 50+ mph?

I see lots of military aircraft pods with electrical generators and was wondering it that was a possible emergency or even daily use thing on E/AB's?

Perhaps a unit with enough power to supply the alternator only or maybe a 20-30 amp unit for more gear?
There is one called "The Bomb" that mounts under the wing of your aircraft.
Check it out.

TFF

I know someone who has one of those Bomb things. Two brothers actually. One had it on one plane and it has since been moved to the other. Bluetooth to your phone.