Air Drill recommendation ?

Discussion in 'Workshop Tips and Secrets / Tools' started by Mr Mono, Jul 20, 2008.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jul 20, 2008 #1

Mr Mono

Mr Mono

Mr Mono

I need to get a variable speed hand air drill.

Any brand recommendations?

2. Jul 21, 2008 #2

Hart Aero

Hart Aero

Hart Aero

Banned

Hi There,

I have had very good luck with the Central Pneumatic CP7300... I bought my first one almost 3 years ago when they first offered them and it's never let me down. I purchased 2 more of them 1 year ago and each are worked very hard every day in a production environment.

Here's a alink to one reseller.....

http://www.tooltopia.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=6992

Sincerely,
    Doug Hart

3. Jul 21, 2008 #3

expedition2166

expedition2166

expedition2166

cp drills are hard to beat but i recommend this get a reversible i bought 3 standard air drills and one craped out on me so i bought another but its reversible and to tell you the truth i haven't used the others since its worth the few extra dollars to get a reversible most of the time they have a lock on them too to regulate speed mine has a jam nut on the trigger and i like it better then the others which have a regulator screw

4. Jul 21, 2008 #4

Mr Mono

Mr Mono

Mr Mono

When do you use the reversing feature?

5. Jul 22, 2008 #5

expedition2166

expedition2166

expedition2166

well in situations where the drill don't cut the last tiny Lil bit and it drives in instead of cutting (alot of times slamming your hand into things ) ,in reverse with an old bit works great for burning holes through plexi without cracking (friction melts the hole instead of it being cut granted there are ''special bits''to do it ) theres a Bunch of times once you get out and really work the drill you'll see that its not something that you have to have all the time but it makes it a heck of a lot easier when you do .

like having a car with no reverse it'll do the job but sometimes you just need it to go backwards

6. Jul 30, 2008 #6

Skyridersbn

Skyridersbn

Skyridersbn

If your drilling aluminum (as in aircraft parts) you want really high speeds (about 3,000 rpms). The faster the drill cuts, the cleaner the hole is going to be (and a lot less burrs to have to take off). I have used a lot of different air drills (mostly all cheap ones like CP and Harbor Freight type stuff). A new friend of mine suggested I spend a few extra dollars and buy ONE good one. I did. It is so light but yet cuts at 3700 rpm. Its only a 1/4" drill but its great to use. Its a Sioux 1214. I bought it online from "The Yard Store". I paid $199 for it but its the BEST $199 INVESTMENT I've ever spent!

Tailwinds Always,
    Larry H

A landing is nothing more than a "controlled crash" back to the ground. LOL

7. Jul 30, 2008 #7

djschwartz

djschwartz

djschwartz

I'll second this. For small holes in aluminum speed is king! Another thing I've found with cheap drills it that the triggers aren't very smooth, or don't stay smooth for very long. While speed is king for cutting the hole, it is often desirable to be able to start out slow to avoid wandering. A sticky trigger gets really frustrating and can quickly ruin more dollars worth of aluminum than the difference in cost of a better drill.

8. Jul 31, 2008 #8

Mr Mono

Mr Mono

Mr Mono

I bought the CP the other day.
    Oh well

9. Jan 4, 2009 #9

Jman

Jman

Jman

Site Developer

Little bit of an old thread but I've got a question along the same line. What about air drills rated in the 6000s. There are some used Dotco drills on ebay right now with 6200 RPM. Anyone familiar with Dotco or the use of super fast air drills on aircraft sheet? Can you get too fast? Thanks.

10. Jan 6, 2009 #10

expedition2166

expedition2166

expedition2166

they work ok if the material isnt too thick the tip of the drill will over heat with denser metals so be carefull on that and if it snaggs you have to be carefull on schrapnel and getting them started right where you want it is tricky sometimes because it will walk all over the place but with time they work good once you get the hang of it

11. Jan 6, 2009 #11

expedition2166

expedition2166

expedition2166

one more note on that is they work great with rasp bits when the collets get worn on your air grinders

12. Jan 7, 2009 #12

Jman

Jman

Jman

Site Developer

Thanks William. I appreciate the info.