• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

A single seat Zenith CH701?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Floydr92

I'm away in dream land again today. I've been weighing up building various single seat 'microlights' to be flown under the uk's 'SSDR - single seat de-regulated microlight' rules. Requires a national license but no other regulations in terms of building, inspections, annuals or permits to fly etc.

So I've been thinking about re-starting the himax project I gave up on years ago, looked at the fished fp202 and super koala with a single seat etc. All the above would be satisfactory but not really what I want.

My days pondering - might it be feasible to build a CH701 with an empty weight of under 200kg (440lbs) with a single seat, or rather the bench half cushioned. MTOW limited to 300kg (660lbs). Could use a rotax 582 to keep the weight down since the power requirement would be lower. I could leave out the slats for a weight saving since the wing would be oversized for the weight anyway. Any other thoughts on potential savings, or any ideas on the numbers? From what I've read they're typically 260kg with a rotax 912.

Last edited:
Back