• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

2276 or larger - Arrghhh!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chad,

Off point question;.... What was the Porsche rod length?

Doug Colley

Cwind said:
Chad,

Off point question;.... What was the Porsche rod length?

Doug Colley

Stock Porsche length.

Stock Porsche = 5.325" (yes, SHORTER than stock VW which is 5.394").

Chad

privatepilot03 said:
Karmarepair said:
Doing a little research, came upon this in one of TheSamba forums:

"With the H beam rod, the rods from the same manufacturer are the same size outside. The chevy rod just has a smaller hole on the big end than the VW journal. The clearencing would be the same. The difference in the 5/16 and 3/8 bolt in clearencing in the spigot hole is negligible. For the street with a 78 I would stick with the VW journal. Just my 2 cents."

So, just because a rod has a Chevy Journal, does not necessarily mean it will be any easier on the clearance...

Chad, where did you buy the rods you used?

I used Eagle rods. Don't remember, but I think I sourced them from a seller on the Samba. I also have a set of Scat rods that required no additional case or cam clearancing so I tend to believe that the above statement is too broad to consider to be a completely true statement.

Chad

Hmm. I couldn't find what rods you might have used in Eagle's current line:
http://www.eaglerod.com

There are some sellers on TheSamba offering Eagle rods with Chevy journals but the only one with the short jobs notes that these rods are no longer being made:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=697146 NOTE FOR THE FUTURE: this link will probably be dead in a month or few.

"Eagle rods have more clearance on the sides and top of the cap over other H beam type rods available."

"Can't afford Carrillo Rods? These are the next best rod you can buy."

"These are no longer being made so get them while you can. We have a limited supply."

Scat makes the same h-beam rods with 5/16" hardware.

102494-2A is the part number.

Chad

Thanks Chad,

(The 5.325 rod is what I'm using in my 2110 build, (new H beams w/ VW journals.)

Got a set of Porsche rods sitting on the bench. Next engine will most likely be a flywheel "rear" drive using those rods. Hadn't measured, but they appeared to be shorter than stock VW rods on a quick look-see.

Thanks my friend,

dc

Cwind said:
Thanks Chad,

(The 5.325 rod is what I'm using in my 2110 build, (new H beams w/ VW journals.)

Got a set of Porsche rods sitting on the bench. Next engine will most likely be a flywheel "rear" drive using those rods. Hadn't measured, but they appeared to be shorter than stock VW rods on a quick look-see.

Thanks my friend,

dc

Anytime, good luck with the build(s).

Chad

Karmarepair said:
Hmm. I couldn't find what rods you might have used in Eagle's current line:
http://www.eaglerod.com.....

"These are no longer being made so get them while you can. We have a limited supply.".....

Per an email I just got from Eagle:

"Chad,
We discontinued our air-cooled VW rods almost 10 years ago. I'm sorry, we do not have any more.

Thanks for your inquiry."

Chad

Back