• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

2180 exhaust

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeff naul

I'm building new exhaust and wondering am I going to see any considerable power loss by going two into one? And at the rpm these engines operate is crossover worth the trouble? Thx, jeff

Hi Jeff,
on my engine, there is no difference between short stacks and 2 in one on each side, see my picture gallery.
The difference is the aerodynamic resistance of the short stacks. With the short stacks, it may be about 5-10mph less speed.
with best regards
Juergen

I wouldn't start with a car setup. I started with J-tubes and had to cut out about 2" next to the flange to clear the back spinner plate and firewall. I'm sure I could have tucked things a bit closer, but want some extra room for possible additions in the future;-) Because of the 4 into 1 and the EFI, I did my own cowling. My 4 into 1 exits in a channel on the bottom and the cooling air exits at the back of the cheeks. We will see very soon if it was worth it and possible gains.

Scott R

Attachments

• 20150716_112944.jpg
    20150716_112944.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 76
  • IMG_20131111_105944_034.jpg
    IMG_20131111_105944_034.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 75
Finished cowling over a 4into1 and EFI

Attachments

• 20151029_122814.jpg
    20151029_122814.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 77
Scott-

Nice set up but can't see your 4-1 collector in the pics. The auto set-up won't work due to space probably, but the idea in that exhaust is both aerodynamic (reduction in friction) and functional as an extractor that helps pull exhaust out of cylinder and some say increases HP by up to 5%. Both decrease strain on the engine. Pipes need to be equal lengths, etc. T

Here is a better pic. I was not able to find a commercially available collector in the sizes I wanted so made my own. It was a pain doing it by myself without a jig. The tubes are all equal length and should be tuned for their size at about 3200 rpm. I also have a baja stinger/glass pack that I might use to fine tune to cruise and muffle some. I am thinking about using a trombone like slide with it to tune it while running.

Scott R

Attachments

• DSCF0396.JPG
    DSCF0396.JPG
    312.7 KB · Views: 77
  • DSCF0394.JPG
    DSCF0394.JPG
    315.7 KB · Views: 68
The four into one exhaust is really cool so much to be gained. Too bad the stock cowling a don't have a little more room. Why don't you post that video of it running so I can be more jealous.

It bent my rudder pedals holding it back. I found that out when I went to safety wire the turnbuckles. That was one of the times it tickled 3200 rpm.

Nice collector and sounds great. With the stinger, I think it should be quieter than exhausting at the cowl. The glass pack would be a good idea to quieten it some w/o power loss.

Back