13B turbo in a Cozy IV

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

John Slade

I'm in the process of configuring a 2 rotor, 3rd generation 13B Mazda engine in my Cozy IV. The engine is mounted, the cowlings are done, the redrive and fuel injection computer are in place. I'm waiting for the intake which is being built by Bruce Turrentine. If you're interested in the rotary, you'll find lots of information, links etc. on my web site at http://kgarden.com/cozy/chap23.htm My thought process for using this engine is also discussed in detail.

Feel free to ask questions. If I know the answer I'll be happy to supply it, but please note that I don't know all the answers on this subject. I don't even know what all the questions are yet.

Regards,
John Slade

Streffpilot

What is your average cruise fuel burn, John? I know you have yours set up more like a hotrod than a econo-flyer, but im curious what you are burning.

sleeperrx7

Loved my 88 Mazda RX7. The smoothest running engine I have ever felt. Would love to see one in a Cozy!:ban:

Jim55

John,

Do you have the stats for the engine? --- Weight, HP, RPM etc?

What reduction did you use?

Thanks

Jim

slociviccoupe

little harsh but canard aviation forum there are lots of rotaries in canards. even a 20b in a velocity. i don't have one but thought about a rotary. they just don't die. keep running even if something does happen. keep in mind that those planes are not too tolerant to off power un prepared landings. im building one and powering it with inline 4 cylinder honda engine. best of luck to ya. oh, forgot to mention keeping a turbo together and not melting down and manifolds from cracking is the only drawback in a rotary design. aftermarket manifolds will not hold up. have to implement 321 stainless or even inconel and slip joints and a good thick flange. same with the turbo maybe inconel exhaust wheel to take the heat.

Group Builder