• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

What's your mission statement?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Four Winds

As we all know every airplane is a compromise. The best way to determine the best airplane for you is to sit down and make a list of what you want your airplane to do. This means deciding the distance your going to fly, speed you want, the amount of passengers and baggage your intend to carry, and of course, the stall speed you are willing to accept. Realistically, it also means determining the value you place on your airplanes looks, the reputation of it's designer, the availability of factory support, and any number of other factors. So think about it and write it down. Post your mission statement. Tell us what it is that you intend to do with your airplane. Ok, I'll start.

My mission statement is to fly a 230 mile leg, wheels up to wheels down, in under two hours, with an acceptable fuel reserve. I need two seats, side by side. Baggage is a minimal concern of mine, 40 pounds is plenty. While I may spend more, I have to know that I can get in the air for not more than $25,000. I need excellent builder support. I am only interested in working with a designer who has a proven history of putting lots of airplanes in the air. Looks are actually a minimal concern of mine, as long as it flies it looks good to me. Also, I've seen that graph showing how stall speed relates to fatality in crashes, so I set a max stall speed of 50 MPH. Oh yeah, the plans had to be clear enough that a first time builder could succeed with them. Well, that's basically my mission statement. So what;s yours?

Back