• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Rotax Joe

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmatt

Anyone have any additional info on this guy? I hear a lot about Rotax Rick and many (although not all, lol) of his customers are quite happy with his engines but I haven't heard much from Rotax Joe's customers.

Anyone on here have any dealings with him or have any experience with his engines? He is a little unorthodox with the way he sets up the 582 and I just want to be sure he has a good track record before buying into any of his theories.

In particular, the use of a "sling weight" (ie. a simple 1/4" disc of steel) in place of a hydro damper. His explanation on that is that the damper is too heavy for the main bearings and they will wear out faster because of that. When it was mentioned that the damper helps to manage harmful harmonics in the crank, he said that his cranks are built to better tolerances than Rotax's and so the damper wasn't needed.

Anyway, if anyone has any additional info on him, his engines, or the "sling weight" mod, please share.

Thanks!

Back