• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Revmaster Engine Mount 2LS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good afternoon, I have a stretch LS that was fitted with an engine mount for a continental A65. I have a Revmaster 2100 D that I want to install in place of the continental. And the problem I have is fabricating a new mount that will put the Revmaster in the proper position. Does anyone have any experience fabricating an engine mount such as the one in the photo? I have contacted Rev up master and I’m waiting for a response, however, I would like to see if there’s anyone out there who has done the same thing.

Attachments

• IMG_6576.jpeg
    IMG_6576.jpeg
    111.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2123.jpeg
    IMG_2123.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2128.jpeg
    IMG_2128.jpeg
    60.3 KB · Views: 1
It’s not magic but it’s probably one of the more pain in the rear parts of building an airplane.

Essentially you level your airplane. Make a stand or table to hold the engine. You have to figure out where it goes with measurements, CG, old cowl if you are going to use it , eyeball. Then you cut the pieces, tack and weld them.

It’s a pain in the butt because you have to decide when it’s good enough and not move it until you get it tacked together.

You can hope to find a mount and tweak it to fit the plane. You might get lucky and find one that is perfect. You will get through it.

Given that the Sonerai II, when built to the plans, does not have a separate engine mount (the engine is mounted directly to the front of the fuselage with aluminum spacers), I don’t think that you’ll find any information about a separate Revmaster mount for your airplane. You’ll need to copy the concept of the Continental mount that you have, and build a mount to suit your Revmaster. If you had an older HAPI engine, you could bolt it directly to the Continental mount.

You could also rebuild the front of the aircraft and weld in the appropriate mounts for the revmaster. My 2ls was chopped in a similar manner

Given that the Sonerai II, when built to the plans, does not have a separate engine mount (the engine is mounted directly to the front of the fuselage with aluminum spacers), I don’t think that you’ll find any information about a separate Revmaster mount for your airplane. You’ll need to copy the concept of the Continental mount that you have, and build a mount to suit your Revmaster. If you had an older HAPI engine, you could bolt it directly to the Continental mount.
Like this mount?

Attachments

• received_256966636775525.jpeg
    received_256966636775525.jpeg
    188.8 KB · Views: 0
I personally would take the weight hit and use a bolt on mount. Mounts get more abuse than they get credit for. If it’s not intended to be a race plane, separate would be my choice.

This might be the easiest, and would likely make it easier to sell down the road, but I am not sure David is set up for welding.
Welding is not a problem, it’s the alignment of the crank with the aircraft. I would also look be to just weld on the mounts with the shortened frame but I lose the ability to use the custom 20 gallon fuel tank. See pic, it’s kind of cool but it doesn’t allow for the mags and starter to come thru the firewall as a typical Sonerai does. I’ve seen photos of the jig that Revmaster uses to build a mount, just not sure if they want to do it.

I appreciate all your input while building this monster. There was a lot of work put into this plane by the previous owner, I want to see this one become a reality. Can’t do it alone.

Attachments

• IMG_6769.jpeg
    IMG_6769.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2118.jpeg
    IMG_2118.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
While the cowling is odd, I do like the firewall not reaching into the cheek cowls. I love cheek cowls, but a lot of Sonerais have the cheek open to the fuselage behind the firewall. If there was to be a fire, once the fiberglass burns away, the flames are in the cabin. Fire is about time. You can’t have enough and you can’t get out fast enough.

While the cowling is odd, I do like the firewall not reaching into the cheek cowls. I love cheek cowls, but a lot of Sonerais have the cheek open to the fuselage behind the firewall. If there was to be a fire, once the fiberglass burns away, the flames are in the cabin. Fire is about time. You can’t have enough and you can’t get out fast enough.

My firewall is covered with fiberfrax, SS and a heat sheild that is fireproof. The cheek is divided and sealed from the cockpit. The picture below the additional fireproof layer partially fitted over the existing black painted SS over fiberfrax layers. The plans lay it out so the cockpit is sealed from the cowl.

Attachments

• 20230403_172153.jpg
    20230403_172153.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
A lot of the cheeks are open behind the firewall, using the cheek as the outside of the fuselage instead of just streamlining. Everyone gets to build it the way they want. Just a note I have noticed.

First of all, I didn’t know they were called cheeks. Quite fitting actually. Secondly, those tubes on the cheeks are for an augmented exhaust. I’m still not sure how I’ll use the tubes but painting flames coming out of them is a certainty 😃

Back