• Become a Premium Member today!

Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Why become a Premium Member?

• Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts.
    • Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

Become a Premium Member today and experience HomebuiltAirplanes.com to the fullest!

Upgrade Now

Potential Auto Conversion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atc4ksaw

I've been looking for an opprotunity to build a warbird replica for about 5 years now and I've finally decided on one of the plans from WAR Replicas. Since I already own a PA-28-180, I really wanted to find someplace to build off of plans to spread out the cost over time.

But I'm at a quandry. I really would like to build their P-40, which is designed around an in-line 4-cyl auto conversion. Obviously this is my first experience at building an aircraft or flying one with an auto conversion and my focus on reliability and safety is paramount. I was curious as to what the reliability of the ignition systems are. And if it is possible to have dual systems, such as in aero engines, to switch between in case of trouble.

And do people stick with fuel injection or go with carbs? And if fuel injection is acceptable, what about computer controls and whatnot? Where do all of these fit in.

I suppose I'm looking for a general rundown on the process of getting an auto engine to work in a plane. I've read some really informative posts here but I'd like to see someone break it down for me. :)

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Scott B

Back