• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Portable auxiliary fuel tank

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EricM

Here is the tank I use to carry an extra 4.5 gallons of fuel for long cross country flights in my Sonerai. It is a "5 gallon moon tank" I bought on eBay. I made the bracket to mount it to the front seat. Fuel is transferred to the main tank via a fuel line with a quick disconnect and a facet pump. When the fuel in the main tank drops below 5 gallons, I can switch the pump on and it takes about 12 to 13 minutes to transfer all the fuel. It takes about 5 minutes to install or remove the tank.

Note: I use nylon webbing to hold the tank in place while flying, not the bungee cords in the picture.

Eric

Attachments

• Aux fuel tank.jpg
    Aux fuel tank.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 120
  • Aux tank.JPG
    Aux tank.JPG
    444.9 KB · Views: 104
  • Aux tank bottom.JPG
    Aux tank bottom.JPG
    504.9 KB · Views: 96
Well, I went to the airport and forgot to weigh the tank. I'm leaving town today for a few days so I will do it when I get back. It isn't very heavy, my guess is 7-8lbs empty. It holds 4.5 gal fuel so that would add 27lbs so no more than 35-40lbs total.

Eric

Back