• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Old pilot...new member

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dauntless

Rural Solano County, California, near Travis AFB.
Older pilot here sticking one toe back in the water...

Like most of you I have been a life-long aviation buff. In my case it started one summer afternoon in the late 50's when my older brother and I were playing in the back yard. A small silver airplane flew low over the house, and I remember jumping up and pointing at it while excitedly shouting that it was an airplane.

Fast forward to the end of the unpleasantness in SE Asia and I was in AFROTC when the detachment commander called all of us in to tell us our services were no longer needed. I went off and did other things.

Five years later I was between jobs and called the local AF recruiter to ask if the AF was looking for pilots. He laughed and said yes, but that you had to have a degree and that the program was highly competitive. I said okay...I have a BS in math and had been in ROTC. To make a long story bearable several months later I enlisted in the AF, made it through "Fishpots" and OTS before settling in at Laughlin Air Force Patch in sunny Del Rio, Texas. A year later I walked across the stage as a newly minted AF pilot.

Fast forward 25 years and I retired from the AF after participating in every significant military adventure after Grenada, and was really no longer interested in aviation. Determined to find something new in my life I started making composite wings & things for my other hobby...road racing with SCCA.

Some years later and those airplanes flying low over my house are starting to arouse my interest again. I have an old TEAM Hi-Max that is nearly complete. I should complete it before moving on to any other projects. Flying my Maule low and slow over the countryside was always a favorite way to spend a few hours, and the Hi-Max fills that bill nicely.

That said, I will never forget my first flight in the T-37. The big bubble canopy with its low nose and an uninterrupted view was so superior to that Cessna 172 I had flown in Flight Screening, with its El Dorado-style long hood (cowling) and six foot spinning disc interfering with my vision, that I keep coming back to a 2-seat side-by-side pusher as my ideal bird.

I don't know what's out there that might fill the bill, but I'm interested in looking. Heck, I didn't even know what an SLA was a week ago, and had only the dimmest recollection of ultralights. The journey should be fun... :ban:

Stan

Back