• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

mt prop

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pilotsailing

would these props be a good choice for a 2180 engine ? www.mt-propeller.com/en/entw/fixed.htm
they seem like they would be very tough, can fly in rain. They are composite over wood.

Not sure, you have to fill out a questionaire with all the specs on your a/c , engine, speed, rpm ect and they give you a quote. probably not cheap.

So no blades is the fastest? Well yea, straight down, I quess your right. I'll stop the wiseguy stuff. Two blades is faster than five of equal weight, even though the impression is five would move more air?

to turn 5 blades, each would have to be at a lesser pitch and it is likely that the diameter would have to be less. In the end, to move more air, you need more power. With the 5 blades operating so closely to each other, they tend to disturb the airflow for the other blades.

No reply from them yet...

Haha... same answer I got from Senchinich.

Dear Jeff,

thank you for your interest in our products.

Unfortunately we have no prop for your application.
But feel free to contact us again for any further question.

Regards
MT-Propeller Entwicklung GmbH

Corwin Lubitz

Propeller choice?

Gentlemen:

I have a 2180 motor with a Warp Drive prop mounted when I bought the aircraft. Comments?

Hello group...

A 5 bladed prop would/could have the same pitch & diameter +- as a 2 bladed prop... but the combined blade area would have to be the same...therefore each blade would have to be 40% smaller (in blade area)...that would make the blades to thin (not stiff/strong enough) & it would not work. Theoretically a 1 bladed prop would be the most efficient. Gary Hertzler 2 bladed props always beat Cato 3 bladed props (this from the canard bunch...those guys squeeze every knot possible out of those VariEze

Do you have plans for a duplicator? Picts?

That is the only route I can take at this point. Unfortunately, the prop I need for the Cassutt is different than what Cassutts use. I need a right hand small diameter prop.

Jeff...

Contact me off site for prop & duplicator info. Give me your phone & best times to call...US calls are free for me.
Pictures are in Yahoo Groups Propellers under files. If others are interested, I can put pictures of propeller duplicator on this site.

Ivan

Jeff...

I just checked & there is one picture, already, in the pictures section of this site. The picture shows both duplicator & the prop blank press. The press is 2 milled pieces of laminated wood & the bottom one doubles as my work surface. On this flat surface, I can check for straightness & blade angles. There is a center line, removable hub, station markings etc... All on the bottom half of the blank press.

Ivan

Re: Propeller choice?

thepelican said:
Gentlemen:

I have a 2180 motor with a Warp Drive prop mounted when I bought the aircraft. Comments?

Has it flown? Is the Warp Drive mounted on the pulley end or the flywheel end? What kind of prop hub does it use?

The common opinion I run across is that a solid composite prop on a VW engine is not a good one. If driven from the pulley end (much more popular) there is serious concern of it breaking even the strongest hub connection. There are limited opinions that it would be fine on a 'flywheel drive' engine. I am one of those limited opinions.

Also, specifically about the Warp Drive prop and VW's.....the helical pitch distribution is not right for a higher rpm VW conversion. If you look at a prop designed for a VW conversion, you will find much more 'twist' in the blades than a same size prop for a slower turning engine. The reason is the angle off attack towards the end of the prop has to be smaller on a VW conversion because the tip speed is much higher. As I gather most VW's cruise at 3200-3400 rpm vs most 'others' at 2400-2800. that is quite a diference in tip speed.

I hope you can shed more light on your Warp Drive and 2180 combination. I am interested to hear if it has flown and what kind of setup it has.

Jeff

Back