• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Long and short wing option?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gschuld

I am interested in building an LSA compliant corvair powered KR-2S. To reach a stall speed of below 51mph clean at the full 1320lbs appears to require about 125-135 sq.ft of wing area. This would require, for example, a wingspan of roughly 32ft with a 5ft chord at the root to a 4ft chord at the tips. The extended fuselage length and larger tailfeathers becoming common to KRs in the last 10 years are fairly inline with the overall dimensions typical of current low wing 1320lb gross LSAs on the market. I would be interested in using a laminar flow style wing shape that has become popular with KR builders, carefully shaped wing root fairings, and streamlining the entire package as much as possible.
I would be interested in having the pre-planned option of replacing the outer wings with "speedier wings" of more common length and size to KRs currently out there when/if fitting in the LSA category is not an issue. So, say I built two sets of wings, the "speedy" set and the "LSA" set, and initially registered and flew the plane as a documented LSA compliant E-AB with the "LSA" wings, I would obviously at some point then need to have a new 40hr testing period to prove the "speedy" wings. With both sets cleared by the FAA, am I then allowed to change wings back and forth at will, assuming that the wings can be made to be interchanged easily? I know of a certain owner of an RV-6 that changes back and forth between 3 sets of totally different length and shape wing tip/extensions depending on whether he is racing, cruising, etc. I certainly would not think that the FAA was informed of every change between them.

A private pilot license holder should be able to utilize either set of wings legally, but a sport pilot license holder would only be able to use the long wings, right?

My ideas on the subject do get a bit more complicated, but I thought that this would be a good start.

George

Back