Information about Bill Barber's Snark

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

etterre

I recently found a very interesting 2-seat pusher design from New Zealand here: http://www.kiwiaircraftimages.com/barber.html
Further searches haven't turned up much about it. I've sent an email to the address listed as Bill Barber's on the page, but since the date on that page is from 2000 I'm not sure that the email address is valid... Does anyone here know of a reliable way to contact the designer or have any info (or more/better pictures) beyond what's on that page?

Thanks!

Roy Etter

etterre

In case anyone else was interested, I did get a reply from Mr Barber. Here it is (along with a photo):

Thanks for the nice comments about the Snark. It does seem to appeal to a lot of people, but not all, most still seem to prefer the conventional layouts.
Unfortunately I have to tell you that there's no way to build a Snark at the moment, there was an attempt made in the UK a couple of years ago, to produce kits for sale, but that fell over for all the usual reasons, mainly lack of funding.
I've built 5 to date, and am working on the sixth (and last) at the moment. I don't have the resources or the energy to start any sort of production, so unless someone with very deep pockets and a lot of enthusiasm comes out of the woodwork, the Snark project stops with number six.
It was never more than a hobby and there were never any plans drawn up.
The Snark I'm flying now will be for sale soon as I finish the current build, it has a Rotax 912S and cruises 150 mph on a good day, climbs 1500 FPM.
Sorry I cant be more helpful, but I'll attach a photo you may not have seen.

Attachments

Last edited:

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
Well, Eterre, if you ever had any ambitions to get into the kit/plans business, it looks like this would be your opportunity...

Neat looking little airplane. I like how the rear passenger is seated higher for a good view.

etterre

The Snark is a nice plane, but I have no ambitions to make a small fortune out of my nonexistant large fortune. :roll: Besides, here in the US I'd have these guys as a competitor: www.ionaviation.com Below is a picture from their recent test flight. In the meantime, I'll keep doodling, reading, and solving equations... hopefully I'll eventually have something some plans for my own design.

Attachments

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
Looks like the actual link is: http://www.ionaircraft.com/

Nice to see them flying! All those Dreamwings customers (that are still involved in this) must be breathing a huge sigh of relief! Hopefully this turns into a nice kit airplane. It'll be great to have something a little 'different' in the market for a change. Everything's starting to look alike again. :gig:

Group Builder