• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Flying wires and load distribution

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

32fordboy

I'm working on a design project and have a quick question for those of you who are more experienced than I. I've read somewhere that flying wires should be doubled up, which is the case for most planes that utilize them. But how do they determine the tension on those wires relative to the load?

For example:

Suppose I have a front spar wire tension of 3000 lbs. Do I use two wires that hold the required 3000 lbs each, or do I use two wires that hold 1500 lbs each?

Hopefully that makes sense. I'm assuming it's 2 wires that hold the full 3000 lbs each, though I suppose either way would work-just not sure what the design standard is.

Thanks.

Nick

Back