• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Daytripper Design Log

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zzyzxx71

OK first things first, I'm storing work in progress, any documents, data, random things I run across on my server I store at

www.ocmojo.com - /zzyzxx/daytripper/ .

The latest version is http://www.ocmojo.com/zzyzxx/daytripper/plane w as5048 - Copy.bmp

Don't ask me about my naming convention, I typically work on backups of backups of backups so I always have original content if I happen to royally screw something up.

I'd like to thank RTFM for permission to use the likeness of his Razorback as the base profile for this craft. The (very little) information and drawings I have so far are the culmination of years of brief stints of brainstorming, but this forum is very motivational so here we go.

Design has been influenced by the RV3, Hummelbird and KR2, in particular Mark Langfords excellent work log.

Goals are as follow.

Single Passenger
30" cabin width (I'm short, but wide, ladyfriends call me jolly)
Composite construction, glass over wood frame.
Wing stub tanks
500 mile range, 1 hour reserve
150mph cruise
4gph (I haven't looked into this objective with great detail)
250lb effective load (200lb pilot, 50lb cargo)
Ease of construction - no compound curves
All external surfaces made in female molds.
16" length
24" wingspan
small full VW - 50-75hp

I have (in my nugget that is) a rough idea for the construction process for the wings, vert and horizontal stabs. I'm less concerned about them than I am the fuselage.

At this point I'm planning only 6 female molds for the entire fuselage.

upper rear firewall
lower rear firewall
upper cockpit
lower cockpit
upper turtledeck
lower rear.

Initially I'd planned on using the hummerbird as a base, but the Razorback has such a much more attractive profile, and once I started working on it - I made siginificant progress in a short period of time.

A few topics I'd like to have discussed are choice of airfoil. The one in the illustrations is the AS5048 used in newer KR2's. There's no particular reason I selected this other than the performance benefits of a laminar flow foil.

Can anyone shed some light on recommendations for a craft that is basically a 3/5-3/4 the scale if the plane it was intended for?

Next on my list is wing dimension - a 24" wingspan seems appropriate, with a 4" wing root tapering to ~3" at the tip, that gives a wing area of ~100-110sqft. By the numbers that appears appropriate, but when put to paper it looks enormous. Am I overestimating the wing dimensions? If someone can lead me to some information regarding "best practices" regarding design as it relates to craft weight, dimension, etc.

Thoughts, ideas, contributions, "wow that looks like crap"?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Back