• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Any MGL Odyssey Users Out There That Can Give Advice?!?!?!?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomeBuilt101

Hi,

I am interested in purchasing a flying homebuilt aircraft that is equipped with two Odyssey EFIS units, a single Garmin SL-40, and an old school Narco transponder (no other radios).

I have researched the MGL website and watched videos and at this point I would like some advise/feedback/suggestions on just what I should look for and/or ask when purchasing this aircraft.

Here goes:

-What should I be looking for avionics system input wise when I inspect this aircraft (any gotchas to look out for)?

-Do they have an internal battery...or at least I assume these units should have a separate power source?

-What needs to take place to make the MGL legal for IFR flight (the airplane has backup AS, altimeter, and attitude).

-With only a SL-40, where does the MGL get its VOR/LOC source?

-What subscriptions do I need to purchase?

-Is there a difference in the GenI or II and how do I determine what unit I have?

-How does traffic and weather radar get into the EFIS?

-The airplane has only one pitot tube and static source...how do both screens get their data?

-How does one determine if the static source is accurately communicating the ambient pressure during various airspeed changes (in other words, even if a static system check was done that is a test rig on a stationary airplane so then how does a homebuilt aircraft pilot know if the static source is not being altered by conflicting aircraft components at different speeds)? -Same for the IAS?

-Is there any bluetooth ability to get Foreflight to integrate with the MGL?

-What else should I be asking???

THANKS in advance!!!

Back