• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Infos on Sonex building

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Camillo

Hallo.
My name is Camillo and I built a Van's RV9A. It took me 5.5 years and 2.000 hours work (I had it IFR approved with all whistles and bells).
I found I need something more nervous. In the meantime I cannot sell my RV9A since I have a colleague who I don't want to leave alone with the aircraft.

So, instead of building a new almost-aerobatic big brother as a RV7 or a RV8, I am convincing myself to go with a "bridge" economical airplane, to operate for sunday flights (using the RV9A for cross country flights).

I loved building from metal but I do not have enough time to build again a 2.000 hours airplane. So, I thaught that a Sonex could be OK for me, since it is:
- an aeronautical project;
- may be built with a powerful aeronautical engine (Jabiru 3300 with 120HP);
- costs a fair price;
- has a very low building time;
- has aerobatic capacities.

I was wondering:
- if it is correct to predict a 700 hours or less labour time (I will buy the machined angle parts kit, which for Sonex website saves 200 hours work);
- if performance with Jabiru 3300 are above average;
- if handling is similar to an RV6 or an RV7.

Any reason for not building it?
Thanks.
Camillo

Back