• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Electric Start for Rotax 503

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlyingBeaver

I installed a Rotax 503 on my Rans S9. My plan was to use a pull starter and it has been fine so far when running the engine on the project. I rigged the wings a couple of weeks ago and it became clear that using the pull start was not practical on the S9 because of the difficulty of climbing in the aircraft after starting the engine. So I need an electric start that can fit on the engine without me having to butcher the firewall. The Rotax starter does not fit the bill.

I have found two third-party starters that are still available at Information | M5 Aviation Products and GPL ELECTRIC STARTERS - GPL Electric Starters.

My two questions are:

1. Are there other options besides these two?
2. Can anybody with first-hand experience provide some feedback about the quality and reliability of these starters?

Thank you.

Back