• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

1,000 hours enroute to a SPL

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ethan2002

Passing the Sport Pilot Checkride was a breeze. Possibly because I have a bit more than 1,000 hours total time at this point in my aviation journey.

Of course, a bit over 984 of those hours aren't counted by Major League Baseball after the 1991 rules change because they were in Part 103 aircraft. Truth be told, I really only took the first 16 hours of instruction so that I wouldn't kill myself flying the MiniMax I was building or the Weedhopper that followed me home enroute to finishing the MiniMax. (And I was up-front about my intentions with my CFI-S.)

But as R. E. Lee said to Major General Henry Heth 160 years ago, if we don't follow orders things will get out of hand. I was perfectly happy flying the Weedhopper and an Enduro. But a deal presented itself and I seem to have purchased a certified airplane. (It is Part 91... I mean, I didn't go nuts or anything.)

So, six summers later, I completed my SPL.

From "certifiable" to "cerificated" in one flight...

Back