• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

X59 supersonic experimental aircraft

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oriol

Hi!

I have read about the X59 concept aircraft today on the news. It seems that the aircraft is intended to revive supersonic transportation by achieving acceptable noise levels. Beyond that, what has surprised me the most is the lack of forward visibility from the cockpit, much like Rutan's Voyager or Lindbergh's Spirit of Saint Louis. In this case they will use cameras to allow the pilot to have full view. The fuselage reminds a lot that of the Stiletto which albeit small, it had a glass in the front. Otoh the X59 has a delta wing planform, and four lifting surfaces!

I am not an expert at all regarding advanced aerodynamics but, does the long Pinocchio nose allow for substantial aerodynamic gains, or only noise reduction? And what about the 4 lifting surfaces, what is the advantage of 4 versus 3 etc? Regarding the engine location, I bet that the real transportation version will require two engines for safety, and for having space on the fuselage for the passengers.

I believe that the sonic boom noise is not a concern in commercial transport, because an airliner does not fly combat missions off the radar close to the ground, or over the cities. Most jet supersonic aircrafts are incredibly noisy wihout flying at supersonic speeds. So, I assume that beyond a well designed fuselage shape, the big challenge is to design a supersonic engine, that is at least as noisy as traditional airliners at subsonic speeds.

Regarding the possible commercial use of the concept? With such a narrow fuselage, it will be very hard to make sufficient room for passenger without feeling encaged/claustrophobia. Perhaps they can work around that, by putting some cinema screens showing the outside, like the forward view in the cockpit. In my personal opinion, I feel much better by watching through a window than a screen.

In any case, congrats to Lockheed Skunk works! It is wonderful that the idea of supersonic commercial transport is being considered.

Cheers,

Oriol

1920px-X-59-overview_four-view.png

Last edited:
Back