• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Wood wing safety - A voice from the past.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ToddK

Supporting Member
I have been reading "Old Soggy #1" by Slats Rogers. Great book, easy read.

Slats "walked away" from 27 crashes. The two the he did not "walk away" from were because his foot got stuck in 28th, and the 29th he didn't count as a walk away because he had to climb out of the top of a 60 foot tree.

His favorite way to crash was to put the airplane in between a couple of trees, and preferred wood wings to metal.

He wrote about wood wings:
"They hold on just about long enough when you decide to use them for brakes. When you've got to squeeze her between two trees and you use your breaks to keep from getting the motor in your eye, why, wings come off just about right if they're made of wood and cloth".

"With metal wings it's not the same. You fly the engine not the ship. Most of the time the engine works. You stay up when you want to stay up. If you have to come down when you want to stay up, its not so good. Pretty boor brakes, those metal wings. Hold on too long."

"I flew the ship, not the engine. That was a good idea in my days of flying, because the engine didn't always work, any more then automobile engines of the same time."

Last edited:
Back