• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Wing design questions and advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benwychocki

I'm trying to CAD up a design for a Part 103 ultralight in the vein of the Aerolite 103 - high wing with struts, pusher prop, tricycle gear, open "cockpit". Right now this is more of an exercise in Fusion 360 proficiency but if I come up with something I like I may try to build it.

Right now I'm working on the wing and I'd like to hear from people who have built these. This is one half of an 8m/27ft span, 1.5m/59in chord, 14ish% thickness wing with half span ailerons and the other half for flaps. They're constructed the same, just operated differently. The spars are 1in OD aluminum tubing, ribs are 5/8 alu tubing, with 1/16 or 1/8 (depending on location and purpose) aluminum plate for the remaining structural elements. The leading edge is a bent piece of 1/16 ABS plastic from McMaster-Carr to give the leading edge a good shape and for bug etc. impact resistance. Every aluminum-aluminum joint is welded, anything dissimilar is pop riveted. Total weight for both wings and all 4 control surfaces, including estimated cover weight, is 70ish pounds, kind of high but I think I can make up for it in a smaller simpler fuselage. I personally am only about 150lbs so my main concern is slipping under 254lbs and not carrying another 300.

It looks like I need cross-bracing somewhere, but I'm not sure what the best way to implement that would be, I'm thinking either welded 1/4 alu tubing across the squares seen from the top, or tensioned steel cable end to end. If anyone has experience in designing and implementing something like this please enlighten me with your knowledge.

Attachments

• Wing design 2 v3.png
    Wing design 2 v3.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 2
  • Airfoil view.png
    Airfoil view.png
    419.9 KB · Views: 1
Back