• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Why is trailing link gear so good?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

addaon

Supporting Member
Trailing link landing gear is known to be wonderful in terms of both landing performance and taxi performance, and my experience with my Commander confirms that — it’s the best ground-handling plane I’ve been in, and makes even the craziest landings bounce-free.

So… why? Compared to simple oleo gear, I’m aware of three characteristics. First, the total travel is higher than most simple oleo struts. Second, the suspension angle is tilted back of vertical. Third, that the suspension angle changes with stroke.

The first two of these seem trivial to achieve with a simple oleo strut, although potentially at a weight penalty compared to trailing link. The third less so, as it’s a property of the short link arm.

So, would an oleo with well-chosen rates, stroke equal to a trailing link, and an inclined strut (how inclined?) feel as good as the trailing link I’m used to? Or does that third factor, or something else, really make that difference?

Back