• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

What Skills to Fly the Stewart S-51 Mustang?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saville

Hello all. There's some recent interest in plans/kits for the Stewart S-51 in the Parts Wanted forum. Talk expanded to data ownership and other things which led to links to promotion videos as to how well it flies. It's claimed to be an "honest airplane".

But I have read things that say the Stewart S-51 shares some of the traits of the Real Thing which means you must be watchful and have skills. One article I read said something to the effect of:

"...you have to bring your A game every time you fly the S-51.....".

The design shares the same airfoil as the original so some of those characteristics will transfer. On the other hand the scary torque rolls that one must constantly be aware of in the original do not seem to be an issue with the S-51 - even at 500hp.

I don't have any firsthand knowledge of course and the number of people who do is pretty limited.

But I wonder how hard it is to fly.

If I had the time and the money would I build one?

Yes.

If I had the money but not the time would I buy one?

Yes if I could find one that is well built and whose systems are well thought out.

Do I have the skills to fly it?

I don't know. At close to 500 hours total - 200 in my RV-8 and another hundred in Super Decathlons and Citabrias I don't know.

Here is a Flight Test report from the UK

http://www.stewart51.info/images/G-CGOI_Stewart_Mustang_FTR_1_Sep_14.pdf

Latest Web page of the company with the rights to the plans and kits:

http://www.stewart51.info/home.html

Promotional Videos talking about how easy to fly (among other things):

Back