• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Under-camber in Propellers?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geek1945

When I had a boat + 2 boys, the fellow at the propeller rebuilding shop mentioned "do you want to cup this prop". Sorry, I don't know what your talking about. He then said it would improve my take-off without downsizing the pitch which it did. I can't remember whether top end WOT changed if it did it must not be by much. It really helped pulling skiers out of the water quicker.

It appears aircraft propellers are flat airfoils. Why won't some slight under-camber give better take-off performance without sacrificing much at cruising speed? Even reducing prop diameter or cord which would lessen the gyro/flywheel effect? Looking at air-boat props it seems that's what they have done, stubby wide cupped props?

Now through the exhaust props also had a bonded rubber coupling/bushing between the shaft and the prop so wouldn't this help with aircraft engine torque pulses when some I/O's are >300HP? So it would seem a 100HP aircraft engine would do better at saving a crankshaft with a similar rubber coupling/bushing? Besides pilots don't suddenly push the throttle, rather slowly making an RPM change.

Would even small coupling/bushing would help on the drive side of a PRSU?

Back