• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Ultralight covering prep tips

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b7gwap

Last time I covered anything other than an RC model was in a symposium that taught the basics of the poly fiber process on a pine box simulating a rib bay. We did the tak, wetted in the cloth, overlaps, shrunk it, then did the fill, some “rib” stitching, tapes over ribs, pinking shears, did a simulated tear and field stitch repair, etc. That was 12 years ago.
I’m about to cover an ultralight starting with the rudder (Sandlin goat 2) using Stewart systems. I understand the basics and how Stewart differs, but what I want to ask the group who have covered light airplanes (like 103 light) is what are you putting on the sharp bits of structure prior to putting on the fabric? Is it just insignia tape? Is it something I can get on Spruce? All the tutorial videos out there are great if you’re covering a super Cub. I would like to see how ultralights differ, and what if any internal tearing mitigation strategies there are.

Cheers

Austin in Utah

Back