• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Suitable use for thin ply?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike von S.

Supporting Member
On another thread I mentioned that Aircraft Plywood Mfg in Highland, IL produces thin, three layer MIL-P-6070 ply that is uses melamine for glue and is therefore suited to laser cutting. I've also griped that the spruce called for in the Fly Baby plans to laminate the landing gear struts now costs $764 before shipping. The ply seems reasonably priced (by comparison). Haven't yet priced laser cutting. But it looks like I could fit 8 layers (enough for one strut) on an 8'x4' sheet, as shown (roughly) here. I wouldn't attempt to do this with a jigsaw, but if laser cutting isn't outrageously expensive, it might be attractive.
The pattern here assumes 45 deg ply (all layers at 45 deg, with the middle layer 90 deg to the other two). Positioned this way, 4 of the long legs and 4 of the short legs would each have outer layers straight down the strut (MOL, the angle on my gear - which is longer than stock to accommodate my Rotec - has an included angle of 43.8 deg), and the inner ply layer at 90 deg. At the same time, the other leg in each case has both outer and inner ply layers at 45 deg. I'd alternate the pattern for each of the 8 layers.
Seems like an 8 layer laminate layed up this way would be pretty **** strong. That's my intuition, not my studied analysis.
Screenshot 2023-10-14 at 4.34.20 PM.png

Back