• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

stripping old paint

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am considering purchasing a previously flying project (FP202) that has paint in poor condition on the fuselsage. lots of cracking, along with rudder and elevator. The previous owner told the current owner that he thought that it may have been covered by automotive paint, which is generally too inflexible to be durable in this application. I don't think it wise to try to put a waterborne product over an existing bad finish. I haven't found much guidance from Aircraft Spruce, nor Ceconite;s website. The wings are already bare, as I would have some repairs to do on the leading edge and a couple of ribs.
If the fabric punches well, can I use commercial products to strip the fuselage? The hardware store variety is quite harsh. I'm a little concerned about damaging the fabric, but would love to avoid a complete recover. If so, should I plan sealing the fabric through silver? My other concern would be that I would be unable to deftly remove the topcoat without damaging the base coat. Perhaps a minor concern is stripper seeping into the structure, and interfering with subsequent bonding, painting, unless I could come up with a good plan to thoroughly clean the residue out of the inside of the structure(s)
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/cata...erm=4580634161250654&utm_content=All Products

Back