• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Streamline theory

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oriol

Hi!

I am reading Fundamentals of Aero to be able to understand airfoil theory. It takes a bit of reading before being able to do somethig meaningful, but I believe the effort is worth it. I am bit lost about how Anderson, the author, proceeds in example 2.3 of the book below.

streamline 2D.jpg

example 2.3 1.jpg
example 2.3 2.jpg

In the first image the author deduces graphically, the equation for a stream.
Which is by definition a curve, whose tangent at any point is in the direction of the velocity vector at that point.
The vector diagram dy/dx = v/u, is equal to tangent alpha = sin alpha/cos alpha. It all seems coherent.

However when integrating instead of having y^2/2 = -x^2/2 + K.
The author gets y^2 = -x^2 + K.

You can guess that the missing 2, on both the denominator of y and x, is buried inside K?
But if this was the case, when evaluating at (0,5), the result ought to be 5^2 = 0 + 2*K. That is K = 25/2, not K = 25.

What is going on in here? I can not tell if there is something that I am missing?

Thanks a lot in advance for any comments!

Oriol

Back