• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Steve Krog

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PTAirco

For those who read Sport Aviation, you may have come across Steve Krog, who writes about tailwheel flying. He's an instructor who has
40-something years experience.

Far be it from me etc etc, but this fellow needs to relieved of some serious misapprehensions. September issue, 2017:

1. He believes that the wing of a taildragger on the ground is in a stalled condition. To make it fly, you first need to raise the tail and un-stall the wing.

2. He thinks that a rectangular wing with no washout (in this case a Pietenpol) will stall fully and all of sudden.

3. Apparently, Cessna POH (model unspecified) recommends opposite aileron during stall recovery to pick up a wing.

Seriously? This fellow is portrayed as some sort of guru so I'll probably catch a lot of flak for criticizing him but:

A taildragger on the all three wheels is not fully stalled. You can fly it off the ground just fine like that. You do not need to "un-stall"it first.

A rectangular wing with no washout has perfectly benign stall characteristics. It will stall gradually from the root outwards.
Unless it is some weird airfoil, perhaps.

Opposite aileron? Cessna POH? I've read many Cessna POHs. I've never seen this. And I have never heard of that notion applied to any other airplane. Is the logic: applying aileron near the stall may make a wing stall, which is bad, so opposite aileron must be good?

I am willing to be corrected on all points. Have at it, ladies and gentleman.

Back