• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Scanning and comparing prop blade profiles

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FinnFlyer

Obviously the least expensive is a profile or contour gauge tool. Typically has 1/16" blades or pointers.
1678825358336.jpeg
But with all the 3D scanning tools out there I figured it would be possible to do something that is non-contact.
Mount prop on something so it's easily turned 180 degrees.
Mount a solid bar parallel to one prop blade.
On the bar, mount a simple 3D scanner that will get a profile (2D) scan for that location.
Rotate prop 180 degrees, take a new scan and compare.
Move the scanner 1" along the bar parallel to the prop and repeat.
Repeat for each 1" of the prop blade.
Turn blade around and repeat for backside of prop.

I've been looking at DIY and low-cost 3D scanners, but most are designed for scanning a small object on a turntable.
Some are using a line laser and web camera. Some two lasers.
Wouldn't mind a single-point measuring set-up (can relatively easy make a 5" 90 degree cross-bar with stepper motor to scan profile section).
I'm having a bit of trouble understanding how the triangulation method works and how to implement it.

Does anyone here have experience with DIY 3D scanning?

Back