• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Safe airspeed question.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

USMC227

Hi all,
Please forgive my ignorance. I’m a two time soloed student pilot and haven’t flown in probably 30 years. I’m building a plane and will resume flight training in a couple of years.

I see all the different airspeeds and understand the definition of each. Here’s my question. A manufacturer will have a never exceed speed and I guess this is because of flutter or other forces putting too much stress on the airframe. The Zenith 650 is 160 mph. The max cruise at sea level 138 mph.

So does this mean that, for example, a plane would indicate 138 mph at 8,000 feet and that would correct to a faster actual speed and this corrected airspeed can not exceed 160 mph?

Or does it mean 160 mph indicated airspeed regardless of altitude?

The Bearhawk B lists a max speed of 175 mph IAS. That would be a good bit different between sea level and 8000 I think. But then cruise, (depending on engine), 135-150 mph true airspeed, which would be something above IAS. Correct?

This is so confusing.

Back