• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Rivetted Al fuel tank - help please?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AncientAviation

Greetings all....
Probably a fairly basic question but keen to learn and after a little bit of help please :)

I am trying to design and build a solid rivetted aliminium fuel tank that sits in an overhead wing with a fuel sight that hangs down and below the tank.
This is or a SSDR - single seat deregulated - aircraft (which is the UK equivalent of a part 103) so I'm free to kill myself how ever I choose - but would prefer not to on this occasion!
I plan to build it into the wing but with the ability to remove the tank relatively easily if need be (I've heard stories of leaks!)

I have spoken to the local AS&S outfit here about parts but they don't seem to know what goes with what....
I have found 2 decent articles as a start and plan to copy this...
1) How About An Aluminum Fuel Tank?
2) https://bobhooversblog.blogspot.com/2006/12/av-yo-fuel-tank.html

I have looked at the motorcycle guys and most have a welded tank (I don't want to get the equipment or spend the time learning this now).
They do have some decent tank sealants so plan to use the common and popular sealants between pieces of the tank.

A) Drain valves - is it worth having one? Haven't seen any on paramotors or ultralights really...
Not sure what nut would be needed to secure this on the inside (as I said, wasn't able to get an answer) but suspect it is the same as the fuel tap or a fuel strainer?
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/safaircav110.php

B) Fuel tap - this looks simple enough.
Tank Valve Threaded 1/4 NPT Straight | Aircraft Spruce
AN FITTINGS AN924-6D NUT | Aircraft Spruce
I guess the question is how is it secured on the inside of the tank?

C) Fuel strainer - The article by Bob Hoover talks about sloshing the tank with sealant and this is what the bike guys do - but I believe that is not a wise idea.
Would this screw into the top of the fuel tap so no need for a bolt?
No need for washers anywhere - on not in this case?
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/fingstrainers.php
D) Fuel cap & Vent
I quite like the Newton SPRL caps and note that a hole needs to be drilled into it to vent the tank.
Years ago they were going to but a 90-degree pipe on the top of the cap and a cage and rubber ball underneath to block fuel flowing out if the tanks were full on a hot day, parked unevenly, etc.. Sadly they never developed this for marketing.
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/lwsprlfc1.php
I think the plan is to vent at the highest point of the tank with a little breather pipe... but open to feedback.

E) The million Pound question - the fuel sight....
I know there are electronic options but isn't there a simple tube or other safe and tested option?

I know another builder that has used plastic fuel tanks from AS&S and no drain valve and his plan is to get up on top and poke a stick in the tank before take off to measure the capacity and then make some calculations based on time and engine RPM's...

Gliders are so much easier without all this... ;)
Is grandma's knitting still attached to the canopy and does the stick move?

My thanks

Back