• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

rectangular spar shear web

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raymondbird

Supporting Member
Have another question I'd to get some expert opinions on if I can: How important do you think it is to have all (or how many?) laminations of the shear web wrap around the spar caps in a rectangular spar? Caps are very narrow and shallow so that is the issue I think.

Spar caps are are pultruded carbon rods totaling up to only about an inch wide and half inch deep each. Spar is about 9" tall at root. Core is 1" wide as well - a rectangle.

I ask because I'd prefer to do one side at a time (about a ten lamination job each side) just to be less stressful getting it all in the bag in time (no helpers), and then do a top and bottom overlap layup later after trim and peel ply removal. Heavier I know but acceptable and what about using less lams in the overlaps?

Self designed so no plans to follow but the math has been done already, just not sure if this three step method is ok.

Cheers

Back