• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Rear-mounted engine as a semi-stressed member?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firegremlin

Trying to see if there are some hidden problems I haven't thought of, other than peculiar aerodynamic surface shakes at idle.

Imagine, if you will, a steel tubular fuselage that ends somewhere just behind wing attach points with two somewhat stiff mounts holding a relatively long watercooled motor (I4 or I6, for example) by the "bellhousing". The other end of the bellhousing attaches to a torque tube, similar to C5 corvette or 944, going all the way forward, where you have a prop gearbox attached to the front of the fuselage using another stiff (but not solid) mount. So far, so good, nothing too weird.

Now, say I wanted to use the engine as a stressed member, and instead of extending the fuselage around the engine and all the way to the end, I'd attach the tail section directly to the engine? Again, assuming it's a tubular steel part. Engine/torque tube assembly's rigidity and length should be sufficient to prevent meaningful flex in all directions except torsion, and that's my concern here.

Assuming the engine is a modern, well-balanced piece, what would make you go, "not only is this unnecessary, but also dangerous because XYZ"? What are the potential pitfalls of a torsionally 'soft' tail?

Back