• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Quicksilver MX Sprint Main Gear Strength

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris In Marshfield

Staff member
Supporting Member
Good morning all,

A technical question before heading out for the big show. I recently installed Black Max brakes and new wheels/tires on the plane as you may have seen in my build discussion. A member of the QS FB community suggested that I created a "massive weak spot" in the gear and I should internally/externally sleeve the gear to carry the load. I don't know that I agree with that. The axle adapter that I removed was replaced with the exact same-sized adapter that was provided by Quicksilver. The axle that went in is the same diameter as the axle that came out. There was a bracket bolted to the adapter that supported the bands for the original brakes that was removed because it's no longer necessary. Not sure I see the weak spot unless that bracket provided some additional strength in its two-inch span.

If there's one thing I've learned from this group is that strengthening one thing usually moves the weak point somewhere else. I haven't heard any tales of woe from the QS community about axle tube failures. I am disinclined to acquiesce to his recommendation.

A3F3D29D-E8BB-46CA-B3A4-FE58B1FE48FC.jpegFF0A99E1-3E1A-429E-9B71-729F0DCDA518.jpegF7A706CC-DA91-4DB6-BF9F-555BE24CFA6C.jpeg14684EFE-CCD9-4687-A851-F861ED5BC7CC.jpeg

Back