• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Propeller thrust with different prop diameters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boltz

Hi,

I’m in the conceptual design stage of a self-launching glider similar to the electric versions of the archaeopteryx and the swift.

I’ve done some research on the two, but it’s a bit hard as some of the information is very scarce.
The swift swings a 1.4m prop using a HPD10 (10kw/13.4hp) motor. It can also be upgraded to a HPD13.5 (13.5kw/18.1hp) motor.
The archaeopteryx swings a prop around about 0.65m using a MGM Compro Rex 30 which is rated at 15-18kw (20-24hp). This produces a take-off run of 50m and a climb rate of 400-500ft/min.

As the propeller diameter has a huge influence on the fuselage design, I want to lock in the propeller diameter early on.

I want to do a trade study on propeller diameters and thrust output/climb rate.

Using Dan Raymer’s calculations for initial sizing, the propeller diameter should be about 1.1m.
Is there an easy way to calculate the differences in thrust/climb rate with different propeller diameters? All the books I have on my bookshelf don’t really help.

Thanks

Back