• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

process help request

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hephaestus

Ok, test parts are killing me... Wondering if someone has some more experienced hand ideas that they'd be willing to share.

This is that hybrid topology optimized layup that I've been playing with. Drag knife cut cloth , wetted out, CNC routed pvc foam cores, laid up into a mold - vacuum bagged.

Running into 2 areas where I'm guessing it's more my handling that's introducing errors which end up showing on the outer face - and I'm not happy with the resulting parts (strength is there, finish isn't)

section.png
I'm clearly showing off my awesome MS paint skills here but it's even more unclear if I just export a section from the model. Blue is core (pvc foam), red/grey/black are generally carbon plies.

What I'm running into is gaps between the plies that are relieved into the core foam and the edges of the core. Tried exporting from the model a few different ways to see if I can get a more accurate core. Probably these errors are being introduced by handling - as the core is laid into the mold & as I'm wetting out the inset plies. Without relief the plies show through onto the outside skin. But where there's a gap between the edge of the foam and edge of the carbon - there ends up being a visible divot... Manually chasing and adjusting the core - turns into an impossible game of chase the gap - 'feels' like every change in one spot creates other problems; and each iterations result is different than the last.

Today's attempts when I get enough coffee into me - I was thinking of running a chamfer on the edge of the ply relief, then adding a bit of micro slurry along the edges see if that masks the issue a bit. Other option - though takes a lot longer; would be to heat the core, lay it over the mold prior to cnc'ing so it's closer to its final shape prior to machining - but I'm pretty sure I've read I shouldn't warm up the abs core somewhere; so more reading needed.

Any great ideas? I'm probably just obsessing - and I know I could just micro the small imperfections on the outer skin...

Back