• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Pre-buy on sub $30k aircraft?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boxchevyman

Hey all,

I am looking at buying an Aeronca Chief or similar (really open to any small two seater, I would prefer experimental but don’t have a ton of options in my area at the moment), so I have something to fly while I build my double eagle.

I have read countless articles detailing how to buy aircraft and have seen the advice of always getting a pre-buy, and all the pitfalls of not doing that. However, most of those articles seem to be dealing with aircraft in the 80K + dollar amounts. Many of the aircraft I’m looking at are in the sub 30K category.

My question is, for that category of aircraft, is a pre-buy usually scoffed at? Or is that generally expected regardless of the value? Many of the aircraft have recently just had their annual done and I was kind of curious if that was enough…

My only other data point is car buying, where if a car is on the cheap side, usually owners are more on the take it or leave it side (and I get it), but this being my first aircraft purchase, I’m not really sure how this works.

Thanks!

Back