• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

pitot tube

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

rorich

I know the plans call for the pitot to be installed on the right wing but does someone know the reason for right versus the left? :-\ ??? Wouldn't the left wing give a more accurate reading in a normal left base and final turn?
rich

Hi Rorich, I did put my pitot tube on the left side, since I wanted to follow the rule:" the left side is the master side"...Well, I found out that left location is not the best location to mount the pitot tube. Here is why: First, the canopy opens to the right, so when arriving somewhere, people tends to aproach the plane/pilot from the left. About 50 % of these people wil get in from the rear, the other 50% wil do it from the front, (read; risk to hit the pitot...) Second, when hand propping your aircraft, You should do it from the left, in front of the LE and reaching the forward throttle lever. After starting, you have to walk around the wing to get to "your seat" (read, risk to hit the pitot tube). Regarding left/right turns, I cannot see, nor did I ever read somewhere that the aerodynamics in a coordinated turn should be different for the left versus right wing..?, so no point here to choose the left side. If I would do it again; mount the pitot on the right wing...
Best regards, Frans.

Which wing you put the pitot tube on makes very little difference. This subject came up on the Hatz forum
(see this post)
and a gentleman did the math and found that on a quarter mile radius pattern the difference between the left and right wing is less than one mile per hour.

To avoid a passerby (or more likely -- yourself) from bumping into the pitot tube you may want to consider installing it below the wing like in the picture below. There may be an aerodynamic drawback to this configuration but I haven't noticed any discernible discrepancies in my airspeed. And it is sure nice not to worry about it being damaged.

normal_0012_jpg.jpg

Scott, everytime I look at your paint it just kills me. The detail is amazing. The Gold accent is it painted with the thin blue border? Or is was it a decal?

-Pete

thanks for the feedback great to have such a helpful groupo.
;D 8) rich

I do like your out of the bottom pitot
there are pics in your build file right?

Rich,

I have a photo in the gallery section that shows how the pitot tube mount block is secured to the rib. The mount block is made of aluminum with 1/8" NPT holes tapped into it. The pitot tube itself is 1/4" aluminum with one end flared to accept an AN fitting. The pitot tube is easily removed for wing folding.

While on the pitot subject, I performed a leak test on the pitot system along with a water manometer calibration of the ASI.

The leak test can be done by gently slipping a sealed rubber hose over the end of the pitot tube to gently pressurize the system to 80 mph. Be careful not to over-pressurize it as you can destroy the ASI. The ASI should hold 80 mph for several minutes. Check for leaks at the plumbing joints if it doesn't. A leaky pitot system will cause your ASI to read low.

The water manometer test will verify the accuracy of the ASI. Here is a link to an article describing this simple test.

Scott

Back