• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Pedal help...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Them

Trying to wrap my head around something I don't really like about the kit I'm building, and was hoping to bounce ideas off of others...

My kit came with a stack of 1/2" or maybe 5/8" by 1/16th angle aluminum, four lengts of 4130 tube, and some plastic bushings, and enough little labels to let me know that I was supposed to turn that into the rudder and heel brake pedals. The idea was that you rivet the angle into a rectangle, drill some holes in one end for the 4130 tube and bushings, and mount to a channel. You then connect a cable to one upper corner of that and there is your brake pedal or rudder pedal. No hardware was included for attaching the cable.

IMG_20160601_222924.jpg

You can see I've already gone off design with a corner brace and the cross brace because I'm not a fan of parallelograms. But the whole thing just seems iffy to me. I've looked at pictures from the kit company but they show a different design or two.

So here's what I'm pondering... I could weld up a set of pedals from 4130. Simplest would look like this:

IMG_20160613_145543.jpg

Aircraft spruce sells 5.8oz polycarbonate rudder pedals I might adapt, but at nearly $70 I sure could build cheaper.

I could probably also build a toe brake mechanism if it came to it, but at some point you are just adding weight and wasting time.

So what should I be thinking about here? Am I wasting my time even considering doing anything but what I've already got? What would you do?

Back