• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Oratex Peel Test

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

proppastie

Admittedly not up to the highest of testing standards, but this is more than I have found anywhere else.

Ray Stits in the fifth edition of his "Stits Poly-Fiber Covering and Painting Manual" June 1985 published that 90 degree peel with "PolyTak" fabric cement with polyester tape on bare aluminum surface had 53.5 oz.

This test is "not 90 degree" but 180 degree and more severe (I believe) and had it been 90 degree perhaps it would have shown higher numbers.
I am not an expert in this field and this is the first peel test I ever did. You get what you pay for here.

The aluminum was sanded to roughen the surface 2 coats of glue 1 hr dry between coats and after 2ud coat, ironed on with calibrated iron at >212 degree, and set over night 24 hr.

The glue failed at the aluminum initially (glue on fabric not on aluminum), and the complete failure was at the tape (glue on aluminum and not on fabric),

Oratex recommends epoxy primer on aluminum, although they do say bare aluminum needs to be scotch brite or light sanding.

Initial failure began at 97 oz (6.06 lb) Complete failure was at 148 oz (9.26 lb)

That the factory does not publish their data (or I have not found it) it is somewhat difficult.

How should this fail? Did I have not enough pressure where is failed at the tape, did I not have rough enough or clean enough aluminum where it failed at the aluminum?

IMG_20170810_182905.jpgIMG_20170810_183343.jpgIMG_20170810_183059.jpgIMG_20170810_183955.jpgIMG_20170810_183936.jpg

Last edited:
Back